Recently I was asked what are the reasons to purchase Apple MacBook instead of budget PC laptop. In fact they are so different, that there is no single factor which is sufficient to make a decision.
The major reason is Mac OS X which is the most powerful and secure operating system for laptops so far. However this post is about hardware.
- Display. If you go info image processing, and you need a really good matrix to display your photos, Apple has it. Cheap matrices strip one bit and display just 7 of 8 bits. This is not acceptable if you’re going to print your images because in paper and in cheap display they look different.
- Sound. That’s what every musician do care about. Cheap laptops often have horrible speakers and very basic sound card (Realtek or VIA). This is not sufficient for professionals.
- Ethernet (LAN). Apple laptops has hardware network adapter, and most of laptops have software ones. You may feel the difference when you need to transfer a big file (like produced video) over wired network. Also cheap Realtek network interface cards generate much CPU load (they don’t have a hardware chip and use CPU for calculations).
- WiFi. Apple laptops comes with a very advanced wireless card. Actually you can purchase one for additional $30 and replace the built-in one (which usually costs $10). So this is not critical.
- Apple remote. Every MacBook comes with IR port. If you got an Apple Remote, you can control remotely your presentations playback, media player, slideshow, etc.
- Power cable is attached to MacBook with a magnet connector. If you occasionally hook a cable with your lag, power cable will be disconnected from the laptop. It will not pull your laptop down from a table.
- Build-in Web Camera of a great quality. Perhaps best Web Camera I ever seen in a laptop.
- You don’t have to learn all the technical specifications. It’s possible just buy Mac and do your job.
This list is not complete for sure. And most of people do not need all of these advantages at once. For this reason cheap PC laptops are in demand even if their quality is lower.